Friday, January 2, 2015

PawPaw's Hershey's Cake

My goal for 2015 is to blog approximately 12 times more than I did in 2014.  I've been a terrible blogger this year.

But a little visit from Santa and perhaps a little chocolate motivation from my PawPaw may have provided the inspiration I needed to get back in my Granny's kitchen. ... and my own for that matter.
This time I'm sharing one of PawPaw's signature dishes, Hershey Cake.
 Only he makes it and he knows we look forward to it every Christmas.  He makes this famous (at least it's famous in our family) Hershey Cake only once a year, twice if we're lucky.  So when I sat down at the table to play with my new Canon toy and this cake happened to be sitting right in front of me. I knew it was time to blog again. I might even dare to say it was fate. 
I've learned that PawPaw has been making Hershey Cake for over 50 years. My mom recently shared with me that each year on Christmas Eve when she and her siblings were eager to get to bed so Santa could come, PawPaw would always need to stay up to make his Hershey Cake.


Hershey Bar Cake
8 -1.55oz Hershey bars

5½ oz Hershey's Syrup
2 c sugar
2 sticks butter
4 eggs
2½ c cake flour, sifted
1 c buttermilk

½ tsp. baking soda
1 c pecans, chopped (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° . Grease and flour  a bundt or tube pan (Pawpaw uses a tube pan). Melt chocolate bars with Hershey's Syrup in a double broiler and set aside to cool. Cream sugar and butter adding eggs 1 at a time.  Combine milk and soda. Alternately add milk and flour. When combined add chocolate, nuts and vanilla. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.




4 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'll make this tomorrow and start the diet next week!! Sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear how it turns/turned out. My plan is to start the diet next week too!

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious. I am looking forward to seeing more of your creations this year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Granny and I love to hear from you!