Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Going Nutty

I'm going nutty!
That's right, I was going to visit my friend Miss Squirrels from Going Nutty.  I had to be nutty to think I was capable of cooking a meal for Miss Squirrels and her family.  I had to be even nuttier if I thought said meal was one I had never cooked before. And the nuttiest idea of all was to do it without Granny's help (sort of).  Yep, definitely nutty!
I decided it was time I learned to make pulled pork and caramel icing (fail).  After many attempts at reaching Granny she finally answered the phone and told me all I needed to know to cook my pork.

Ingredients:
1 pork roast
1/2 c. vinegar (depending on the size of the roast, mine was about 3 pounds)
black pepper
seasoning salt
garlic powder
barbecue sauce

Place the roast in the roasting pan fat side up.  Add vinegar to pan and follow with seasonings.
So I learned my kitchen is in need of a roasting pan along with a rolling pin.
Put in a 325° oven for about 3 hours or until the meat is tender and a fork can easily be inserted (if you wanna be technical it should be until it reaches at least 145° on a meat thermometer).

After the pork is thoroughly cooked pull it apart.
I used two forks to pull the pork.
 Add barbecue sauce.

All of that was easy, I only had to call Granny 39 more times, and while my pork looked like Granny's, it didn't taste like hers.  I've gotta find out her secret to the barbecue sauce.
The caramel cake on the other hand was a failure. See that puddle around the cake? That's the icing that should be on the cake! More about that fiasco later...

I can say I completed the task, but I don't know how successful I was.  I hope Miss Squirrels and her Littles liked the pulled pork. And I hope they don't think I'm too nutty for making them something I'd never made before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Granny and I love to hear from you!